Plastic is an essential product in everyday life and is among the most commonly produced materials. The plastics industry is the 8th largest industry in the United States, contributing to over 1.70 million jobs.
Because of the many ways that plastics can be utilized, it has innumerable benefits to our everyday lives and global advancement.
- Plastic is the most versatile material due to its light weight, flexibility, durability, and ability to guard against contamination.
- Its ability to bend while remaining durable grants design versatility that can be used for almost any application – from packaging to home design and appliances, toys and crafts to safety equipment, and more.
- Because plastic is flexible and cost effective, it is the material of choice for most irrigation systems. Plastic pipes do not corrode, making it a great long-term alternative to metal pipes.
- Plastic packaging enables companies to ship more product with less fuel and at a lower cost. This has allowed companies to ship more product in fewer trucks and loads.
- Packaging weight could increase by as much as 400% without lightweight plastic packaging.
- Plastic parts has saved over 650 gallons of gas over the lifetime of an average car.
- Plastic is non-permeable and makes it a great component for developing medical-grade equipment and new, innovative applications.